And oh you're suddenly a stranger

Hello People of the Internet!

First off I suck at writing introductory posts to blogs. They feel so arbitrary and forcefully welcome. I also have never really been able to steadily keep a blog, fun fact. There's only one that I have activated for my theatre group at Ithaca College, Macabre Theatre Ensemble but even then I suck at updating it (in fact when I'm done with this I'm gonna update it). In middle/high school I use to produce blogs like nobody's business but after one or two posts I'd abandon it. There are probably like ten blogs under Sean Pollock under blogspot that are just orphaned blogs I impulsively made and forgot about. RIP Past Blogs.

Basically, if you're reading this you probably know me or at least know a little bit about me. I'm a rising sophomore at Ithaca College and as mentioned, I have my own theatre group there - and I adore it. I've been acting since I was eight and directing and writing since I was thirteen. In addition to founding Macabre, in high school I went to a ghetto as fuck charter school which was too god damn poor to hire a drama teacher, so I founded the drama club there as well (which I'm happy to report is still active although they finally I guess got the money to get an actual teacher as opposed to having a sixteen year old student to teach theatre) and I had my own community theatre group as well in high school and I have also directed at a few other places as well.

My friend Dan Roeder told me about this Suzan-Lori Parks inspired project and I'm determined to do it. This summer has been a rough one for me to say the least. I worked two jobs that I wasn't crazy about to say the least at home in New Jersey, so I recently quit them and moved back to Ithaca. I have been struggling a lot with a lot of things, but mostly what I want to do in my life. I'm hoping this project will give me some sense of clarity and will help me heal from the rough shit I've been having to go through. Even though this project technically started August 1st, I am determined to catch up.

Love to all,
Sean
xoxo

PS - The title is called "And oh you're suddenly a stranger" from the opening sequence of "Songs For A New World". I'm not a Jason Robert Brown fanatic by any stretch, but since this is in its own right, a project about self-discovery and realization I felt it would be appropriate to reference "Songs For A New World" because I feel that's essentially what that show is all about. If you don't have any idea what the fuck I'm talking about, here's the song.

Comments

  1. Glad somebody else noticed this project is a riff on 365 days/365 plays... I think it's kind of cheap that the hosts of the 31/31 project didn't pay their respects to Suzan-Lori Parks, but what do I know, maybe it's common knowledge and doesn't need to be spelled out for people.
    I'm a recent college grad and I feel your quarter-life crisis pain. I'm doing the 31-in-31 project, not blogging any of my results yet, but I look forward to reading some of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts