Dear Kathy [Final Part] (8.16.12)

 
#16: DEAR KATHY
(FINAL PART)

Written
by
Sean Pollock

SCENE ONE

(Lights rise on Julie)

JULIE: Dear Kathy,
            I’m sorry it has been a few days. I needed to take some time and think of exactly what I was going to say in response to that letter. have to say I am quite shocked to hear that is how you chose to went out and every time I see Suzanne I now can’t get that image out of my head. I actually wish in a lot of ways you hadn’t told me that just because I think that image of you will probably forever haunt me. I know that you tried to commit suicide but it’s another to really absorb and process that information. Anyway I also think it’s best you don’t smoke pot with your friend or think about that too much. Drugs are depressants and generally speaking do more harm than good. Although I guess pot is different. Either way I haven’t smoked it in a very long time…so I don’t know. But for now focus on Kathy. Not focus on drugs. (beat) Anyway things are ok here. Suzanne’s great. She asks about you a little less each day. I think she knows you might not be back for a while but I think she would still really like to see you. When is the earliest you can have visitors?
            Love,
            Julie

(Lights rise on Kathy)

KATHY: Dear Julie,
                I am sorry to have potentially scarred you by telling you that. That was not my intent. It was simply to inform, although I suppose maybe it was gratuitous in the nature of which I described that scene taking place. And I know that you’re right—drugs aren’t the answer, especially after trying so many different drugs and medications over the years I know my true feelings are something that no medication can truly numb and that I must learn to help myself, which is I guess why I’m here. Anyway a bit of good news I am doing better in this program and they think I might get out in a week or maybe even a few days. I have to see a lot of different doctors which means telling your story to a bunch of different people who have a lot of different opinions: some think I should be in here for life, some think I should get out in a few months, but a lot of them think I’m okay enough to leave sooner. One thing I have learned from this experience: sanity is completely relative. Even though I think I’m getting better, it just depends on who else does. Like the Cheshire Cat says in Alice in Wonderland, “We’re all mad here”. Anyway, I can now have visitors so come by between 2 and 5 anytime on the week day and bring Suzanne. I can’t wait to see you. Also, hope things are better with Hank.
            Love, Kathy

(Lights fade on Julie reading Kathy’s last letter)

JULIE: “…I can’t wait to see you. Also hope things are better with Hank. Love, Kathy”.

(Enter HANK, in a drunken stupor)

JULIE: Hank, stop.

HANK: Shaddup.

JULIE: Hank do NOT tell me to shut up.

(Hank hits her)

HANK: I said, shut up!

(Julie hits him right back and knocks him to the ground)

JULIE: Fuck you, Hank. You shut up.

HANK: You’re crazy.

JULIE: You’re right. I am crazy. I’m tired of you drinking every night, hitting me and then leaving me and it all being one vicious cycle. I don’t even know you anymore, Hank. You’re not the man I married. I’m leaving you, Hank. Give me the keys.

HANK: No.

(Julie kicks him)

JULIE: Give them to me.

(He does. She exits. Lights fade)

SCENE TWO

(Lights up on Kathy, asleep in her hospital bed. There is another woman next to her. The lights are dim. Enter Julie. She wakes her up)

KATHY: (half-awake) I’m asleep, what do you want?

JULIE: Kathy, it’s me. Julie.

(Kathy gets up)

KATHY: Julie! How did you—

JULIE: Shh.

(They hug)

KATHY: How did you get in here?

JULIE: Don’t worry about it. I’m here to let you out of here.

KATHY: You can’t do that!

JULIE: Why?

KATHY: It’s too dangerous.

JULIE: I have to. For my own sake and for yours.

KATHY: Why?

JULIE: Because I realized something…while I was at home, taking care of Suzanne and putting up with Hank’s abuse…I’m just as nuts as anyone else in here. Just because I didn’t try and kill myself doesn’t mean I haven’t at least though about it every day of my miserable marriage. I’m already in an asylum as far as I’m concerned: it’s called my household. And it’s an asylum I’ve made. A domesticated asylum that I’m trapped in, and I hate it. Kathy, you’ve been the most sane, supportive person I know and here you are locked up miles away against your will while I’m cooking Sunday dinner and I’ve felt just as sick and miserable as you. (beat) Cmon, Kath. Let’s get out of here.

(They run off. Lights fade)

Comments

Popular Posts