Final Thoughts + Peace On Earth Was All It Said (8.31.12)

Alright. So it is technically September 1st and I have broke the rules. I wrote 31 plays in 32 days, technically, but fuck it. I'm only one day behind and I submitted them all anyway.

As I posted in my September 1 entry - it has been a great test of my abilities and I thank all who have been following this blog for their support. I guess the plan is that 31 plays/31 days will happen again next year - so count me in, guys!

Sean xoxo

PS: The next play "Peace On Earth Is All It Said" is a re-telling (of sorts) of the Peter Paul and Mary song  "One Tin Soldier". Not one of my best plays, but I always loved the moral of this song.
 
#31: PEACE ON EARTH WAS ALL IT SAID

Written
by
Sean Pollock


(Lights up on the MOUNTAIN-PERSON and the VALLEY-FOLK. [Note, when a word is in parenthesis, it indicates a word they cannot say)

VALLEY-FOLK: (drawing his sword) Unguard Mountain-Person!

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: Who are you?

VALLEY-FOLK: I am a Valley folk from the Valley below. We demand our treasure.

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: What treasure?

VALLEY-FOLK: The treasure that the mountain people stole from our ancestors, the valley folk below, centuries ago.

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: We have no such treasure.

VALLEY-FOLK: Don’t play games with me. Give up the treasure, Mountain-Person.

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: Stupid valley folk. Always claiming things for your own.

VALLEY-FOLK: We know you’re hiding a bunch of (gold) in that treasure chest. Give it up.

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: Go back to your stupid valley, and get off my mountain now!

VALLEY-FOLK: I’m not going anywhere without the treasure.

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: You have plenty of (gold) at your valley. Why must you take mine?

VALLEY-FOLK: Because I know you have a lot of (gold) in that treasure that’s worth millions! And I’m taking it!

MOUNTAIN-PERSON: Listen, it’s really not that big of a deal. I promise. I’m sure you guys have much better treasure at the Valley.

VALLEY-FOLK: I know you mountain-people. Always trying to be sneaky and deceiving. I want my treasure and I want it now!

(Valley-Folk unveils his sword and him and Mountain-Person fight to the death for the treasure. Valley Folk stabs the Mountain-Person and digs for the treasure. He finally finds it and opens it)

VALLEY-FOLK: Wait there’s no (gold)

(He uncovers a stone)

VALLEY-FOLK: What the…? (he reads off the stone) “Peace On Earth”. (beat) What the fuck kinda treasure is that?

(Lights fade)

Comments

Popular Posts