Fried Bacon (Final Part) [8.27.12]

 
#27: FRIED BACON
(PART SEVEN)

Written
by
Sean Pollock


SCENE NINE

(Lights rise on Nora)

NORA: (addressing the audience) Shelly, Ricky and I all spent the night at a hotel while Shelly came up with our new plan. She might have been annoying and slightly air-headed, but she at least had it more figured out than we did.

(Lights rise on the hotel room. Shelly is talking to Ricky and Nora)

RICKY: Alright, now I have to warn you, Shelly—this mission is a little more complicated than you think. (beat) We’re not the only ones doing this.

SHELLY: Doing what? Killing cops?

RICKY: Right.

SHELLY: How many more people do we have to worry about?

RICKY: Mostly just one, but technically three. Our ex partner Florence started this mission and she’s very determined—and she’s got two goons with her, Lex and Johnny. There was another one, but she killed him. She’s crazy. She’s ruthless. And she will stop at nothing to kill these policeman.

SHELLY: So then why did you leave?

(A silence)

RICKY: Well, I was at work, and one of the detectives came to my work and asked me if I knew Nora and said they had proof of me talking to her. I got spooked and I ran off. We were supposed to have this policeman breakfast at our house where we were gonna invite a bunch of cops for breakfast and then poison their food, but it was too risky. If they saw Nora…things would be disastrous. Our cover would be blown. So when the cops came I shot them, and we ran.

SHELLY: Ok, so essentially you have two objectives: to beat out this Florence bitch and to take down the government. Both of which I can respect. However, you’re going about it all wrong. You see, I’m an FBI agent. Do I want to be? No. Am I? Yes. There are several policemen out there who don’t really want to be policemen, therefore it’s not right to kill them. They’re not the ones who make the laws.

RICKY: But they’re the ones who enforce them!

SHELLY: Shh. I’m not done talking. (beat) And while yes, cops enforce the laws they are not solely responsible for those laws. I can certainly appreciate that you both have been killing cops as practice, because killing cops is a challenge—and so far in this area alone, it seems like you guys have gotten rid of a lot of them and been able to get away with it because let me tell you, they are trying to find you, and Miss Nora here is already a suspect.

(Ricky and Nora look at each other)

SHELLY: But don’t let that stop you by any stretch. You’ve got me. I’ll protect you, don’t worry. We got this. I got a government registered car, ID, everything. We’ll be fine. We just got to act fast. We can’t waste our time just driving around shooting policeman. We have to think bigger. We have to think outside of the box. We have to think of doing something that Florence isn’t going to do. We have to beat her at her own game.

NORA: What do you propose we do?

SHELLY: Kill the Governor.

NORA: The governor?

RICKY: Now that’s risky.

SHELLY: (imitating Ricky) “Now that’s risky”. Will you listen to yourself? You’ve killed all these cops and now you’re worried about killing one more fucking person?

RICKY: It’s not just one fucking person, Shelly. It’s the governor of our state. A few cops here and there, that’s nothing. But I’m pretty sure someone’s gonna notice if the governor if our state is gone. And we’ll get caught.

SHELLY: Not if we do it quick and run. We just got to break in, shoot and then run. And then we run to the next state, find the next governor, kill him. And we’ll do this across all fifty states. It only makes sense for us to kill him. I mean, he’s the head honcho. He’s the one whose really enforcing the laws. He’s the one who fucking MAKES them. He’s the enemy. Not the cops. I mean, sure, cops are dicks, but they wouldn’t be dicks if they didn’t have to answer to the man. If you guys were true anarchists, you’d know the governor of our state is the core of the government, and unless we kill the bastard, your mission is essentially pointless.

RICKY: How do we even find where the governor lives?

SHELLY: Trust me, babe. I’m an FBI agent. I got this shit on lock-down. We leave tomorrow morning, you leave the rest up to me.

(Lights fade on them)

NORA: (addressing the audience) So the next morning we traveled three hours south and using official government papers that Shelly had, we were able to trace where the governor lived. (beat) The plan was that the three of us would break in, kill them, and then get the fuck out of there. Turns out, breaking and entering the mayor’s house was not as easy as we thought.

(Lights up on Shelly’s car. Nora sits in the front, Shelly drives, and Ricky is in back)

RICKY: How close are we?

SHELLY: It says we should be there soon.

RICKY: Well what’s soon?

VOICE OF GPS: (off-stage) Your destination is ahead on the right.

SHELLY: Alright keep your eyes peeled for number 65.

RICKY: God these houses are nice.
SHELLY: Well, we are in the governor’s neighborhood.

VOICE OF GPS: (off-stage) You have arrived at your destination.

SHELLY: Where?! Where is my destination you infernal machine? (beat) Wait, I see it!

NORA: Really, where?

SHELLY: Just kidding! I have no idea where it is!

RICKY: Oh my god wait…is it possible that it’s that one over there?

(They both look ahead in the distance)

NORA: The one with the giant gate?

SHELLY: Yup. That’s it. Number 65. Alright, let’s park this bitch.

(She tries to park the car)

SHELLY: I hate parallel parking.

(She parks it)

SHELLY: Ok, Ricky—you got the pantyhose?

(Ricky gives them black pantyhose to put over their faces, as well as guns)

SHELLY: Ok now, before we go in, let’s make it snow, Ricky—what do you say?

RICKY: Let’s do it.

(She takes out a bag of coke from her bra. Nora inspects the bag)

SHELLY: Please tell me you’ve done coke before.

(Nora shakes her head)

SHELLY: Girl, you cannot do this kind of thing sober. If for some reason this gets fucked up, we gotta get some drugs in our systems so that we can pleas for insanity.

(Shelly rolls up a dollar bill. She pours some of the cocaine in her hand and then snorts it. She passes it to Ricky who does the same, who passes it to Nora and does the same. She sneezes, and the coke flies everywhere)

NORA: Oh my god…my nostrils!

SHELLY: Just kidding, guys. That wasn’t coke.

RICKY: What the fuck was it then, Shelly?

SHELLY: Bathsalts!

NORA: My head feels like its going to explode.

RICKY: It’s actually not as bad as I anticipated.

(Shelly does another line)

SHELLY: God, I cannot wait to kill this bitch.

(Lights fade…)

If you are interested in viewing the rest of this selection, please email orangeyagladplay1(at)gmail.com. I will be happy to pass along any of my writing, free of charge, providing it is not distributed, produced or reprinted without my permission.

Comments

Popular Posts