#8: A PLAY FOR THE YOUNG WOMEN ON THE TRAIN

#7: A PLAY FOR THE YOUNG WOMEN ON THE TRAIN




Note: These are both written for Asian women. I pulled very little dialogue from their conversation,
but among the few sentences I caught, one of them mentioned Chinese culture, but I have no idea in
reality where the women are based from.


Lights rise on the WOMAN #1 on the stoop of an apartment uptown.
She is holding a paper shopping bag with a bunch of blue lavender flowers.
She wears a black Tshirt, a ring, ripped jeans (but the kind of ripped jeans that aren’t naturally ripped--
the kind you’d buy pre-ripped at a store). She wears white shoes of an undetermined variety.
She is sobbing. Like, loudly. Guttural cries. Cries of someone deeply in pain.


After a few moments, WOMAN #2, wearing a shirt that says “Bello Summer” in bright yellow
Yellow Submarine album font. In the “O” of the Bello Summer Tshirt is the face of a Minion.
She has a lemon colored purse with a gold chains, a hair tie, a watch and a bracelet.
She is one of those people that carries around an iPhone without a case because
she is that confident that she won’t break it, because she’s just not that kind of person who would do that. The iPhone in question is silver.  She wears a necklace that has a tiny thumbnail sized golden bear head. She wears dark green turtle shelled colored shoes that have highlight yellow stripes to the side. They bottoms of them are beise and reminiscent of Timberline’s. They are really fucking ugly, but they work for her.


WOMAN #2 walks past.
Then all of a sudden it happens: while texting, she trips, and her iPhone screen shatters.


WOMAN #2: FUCK! Fuck Fuck Fuck!


WOMAN #1 continues crying. WOMAN #2 looks at the phone in disgrace. As WOMAN #1
keeps crying and WOMAN #2 is devising how the hell she’s going to explain this to her parents
who still pay her phone bill. She sighs, and then turns around.


WOMAN #2: Rough day, huh.
WOMAN #1: (through her tears) What?
WOMAN #2: I said rough day.
WOMAN #1: Yeah that’s for fucking sure (she continues sobbing).
WOMAN #2: Are you ok?
WOMAN #1: Like...no! (one big sob)
WOMAN #2: Are you locked out of your apartment?
WOMAN #1: I wish that was it.


A long beat.


WOMAN #2: Do you mind if I sit down.


Woman #1 nods her head.


WOMAN #2: What’s going on.
WOMAN #1: It’s a long story.
WOMAN #2: I have no place to be. My phone just broke.
WOMAN #1: Ok. (she sniffles) Ughhh...fuck! (more crying) I’m so PATHETIC!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!
WOMAN #2: Heartbreak, isn’t it.
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: You sound like you’re in pain.
WOMAN #1: I am. (beat) It’s just like....oh my god everything sucks big orange Trump dick!!!!! Fuck.
(beat, softly:) Ok so like...this guy. His name is Ben.
WOMAN #2: Is he white?
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: He sounds white.
WOMAN #1: (in Mandarin) Are you Chinese?
WOMAN #2: (in Mandarin) Yeah obviously.
WOMAN #1: Ok cool.
WOMAN #2: Yeah.
WOMAN #1: It’s just like. So we’ve been dating for a few weeks.
And sometimes he just like does this shit that just like, drives me crazy.
Like he’ll like this one girls Instagram photos but he doesn’t always like mine.
And sometimes like, I’ll send kiss emojis when I’m saying Goodnight and he’ll just say like G-night.
Or Night. Like not even a moon face.
WOMAN #2: Wow.
WOMAN #1: And like sometimes he’ll say he can’t hang like a certain weekend and that--I mean
that drives me NUTS. Like does he hate me? Like does he...like is he getting side pussy?
Is he hanging with his friends? Sometimes he doesn’t even post Insta stories when he like,
doesn’t tell me where he is--so I’m like what the fuck! you know, but also, I know he likes playing
Halo a lot so that could be it--
WOMAN #2: How long have you been dating?
WOMAN #1: Four weeks. Almost a month actually.
WOMAN #2: Ok…
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: Hmm.
WOMAN #1: Ok so three weeks.
WOMAN #2: Got it. (beat) You really like him.
WOMAN #1: Yeah I like him like a lot.
WOMAN #2: Is this his apartment?
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: Did you guys get into a fight?
WOMAN #1: No.
WOMAN #2: So what are you....doing here.
WOMAN #1: So we like made plans at 3. And then I still havent heard from him.
And it’s like. I don’t know if he’s mad at me--or--
WOMAN #2: What’s in your bag?
WOMAN #1: ...Blue Lavender flowers.
WOMAN #2: Are those for him?
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: You bought them just for him?
WOMAN #1: Yeah.
WOMAN #2: Without sounding judgy it sounds like...how old are you?
WOMAN #1: ...27.
WOMAN #2: I’m 26.
WOMAN #1: Do you have a boyfriend?
WOMAN #2: No. I don’t. In China it’s like expected by this age that we’re supposed to have husbands,
and a family and it’s like--
WOMAN #1: Yeah I know, but like, in this society I feel like you can’t be married if you’re not independent
now.
WOMAN #2: Yeah.
WOMAN #1: It’s like I need to be in control of my finances. My parents still help me and.
WOMAN #2: Yeah it’s like people aren’t even getting married at this age now.
WOMAN #1: Like, 30’s.
WOMAN #1: I don’t plan on getting married. Not til I’m independent.
WOMAN #2: Yeah.
WOMAN #1: But dating is--
WOMAN #2: In New York--
WOMAN #1: A death sentence.
WOMAN #2: A full on nightmare.
WOMAN #1: And I really like this guy. But I’m so crazy. I’m so so crazy. I’m crazy.
And I’m trying really hard.
WOMAN #2: It seems like he already likes you--I mean it seems like you’re really overthinking things.
You can’t come on like, too strong.
WOMAN #1: I know. But my mother.
WOMAN #2: My mother too.
WOMAN #1: She says I’m gonna be an old maid!!
WOMAN #2: My mother says that too!! (eat) Yeah I’m not even trying anymore.


A silence.


WOMAN #1: If he doesn’t come back in like 10 minutes I’m gonna go.
WOMAN #2: Yeah. Sounds like a good plan.
WOMAN #1: I’ve been here for 40 minutes.
WOMAN #2: Fuck.
WOMAN #1: I don’t even know what to say if he doesn’t answer me. I might just like, I don’t know.
I don’t want to just forgive, yknow--
WOMAN #2: Because that sets a pattern.
WOMAN #1: Yeah that it’s like OK to treat me shitty.
WOMAN #2: For sure.
WOMAN #1: But like I wanna be like Hey...that was really not cool and I need you to help me
understand why you did that.
WOMAN #2: That’s...yeah. That sounds right. Mature.
WOMAN #1: And if he doesn’t answer to that--
WOMAN #2: If he doesn’t answer to that, then. I mean. I’d like spite fuck someone if someone didn’t
answer a text like that. (beat) He could be just like stuck on the train.
WOMAN #1: The trainnnnnnn. It’s so bad here! I just Uber everywhere.
WOMAN #2: Where do you live?
WOMAN #1: Williamsburgh. You?
WOMAN #2: Over here, 88 and Lex.
WOMAN #1: Who do you live with?
WOMAN #2: A virgin computer nerd.
WOMAN #1: Man or woman.
WOMAN #2: Man, actually.
WOMAN #1: You’re living with a single man!?
WOMAN #2: he’s pathetic. He’s sweet. I’m pretty sure he’s too anxious to even talk to a woman. (beat) I feel bad.
Enter BEN, a really stupid good looking white boy with a Beakon’s Closet bag.


BEN: Oh my god--you came!
WOMAN #1: Yes! Yeah--!
BEN: I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry Woman #1.
WOMAN #1: Oh--it’s ok--!
BEN: Whose your friend?
WOMAN #2: I’m Woman #2.
BEN: Nice to meet you Woman #2.
WOMAN #1: Yeah I was just chilling here, and--
WOMAN #2: I just saw her. My phone broke--
BEN: Oh yeah--my phone died! Sorry! Like not long after you texted me.
It like totally died. And I left my charger at home--I always have it but today--
WOMAN #1, 2: Oooooooohhhhhhhh.
BEN: And I was gonna be like Ok I’m gonna quickly go to Beacons/
WOMAN #2: So yeah my phone’s broke/
BEN: And then like get the fuck out. Which didn’t happen. (beat) I got you something.
WOMAN #1: Oh my god!!!! What!!!!! You didn’t haVE TO!!! What!!! Oh my god you’re so sweet!!
WOMAN #2: (sotto) Wow...congrats...ah...
BEN: Wanna...head on inside?
WOMAN #1: Yeah.


He puts his arm around her, unlocks the door.


WOMAN #2: Oh wait--excuse me!
BEN: Yeah?
WOMAN #2: I um--I just--my phone broke. Like right here. Just now.
And I was wondering if I could like, maybe borrow a laptop or something? And post a status
about my phone? if someone needs to contact me?
WOMAN #1: Oh! Uh--!
BEN: We’re...a little busy right now. (he winks at her) Good luck, though.
WOMAN #2: Ok.

Before Woman #1 can even say “Thank you”, Ben pinches her butt and closes the door.
Woman #2 stands there, alone.

Comments

Popular Posts