A Play For Kyle (8.20.14)

Ok. so this is a play for Kyle but since the prompt was to be inspired by a poem, I figured I'd throw this one in there since it relates to the theme of this play:

Alone by Maya Angelou

Lying, thinking
Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don't believe I'm wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

There are some millionaires
With money they can't use
Their wives run round like banshees
Their children sing the blues
They've got expensive doctors
To cure their hearts of stone.
But nobody
No, nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Now if you listen closely
I'll tell you what I know
Storm clouds are gathering
The wind is gonna blow
The race of man is suffering
And I can hear the moan,
'Cause nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.


#20: A PLAY FOR KYLE

(Lights rise in on a stormy day in a dark world. Enter A and B. They are holding hands. We are on a vacant street corner. There is a phone booth)

A: C'mon. We have to go. We have to go.

B: It's not safe.

A: We're safer here than at home. The roof could collapse at any moment.

B: The roof could also collapse at the store.

A: I don't think you realize the severity of this--

B: What does severity mean?

A: It's like, when something's servere. Like severely bad. 

B: I really don't want to go to the store.

A: We need to stock up on food and supplies. They say there's gonna be a tornado coming.

B: They always say there's gonna be a tornado coming.

A: They don't though! I love you but my god you are acting like a child!

B: I'm drunk.

A: I know! You drank a lot before we went out. I don't know why you did that.

B: Because I wanted to get drunk.

A: Alright drunky, well let's go to the god damn store!

(She tries to pull B along)

B: Kiss me.

A: No! Come on! We need to get supplies for the storm!

B: Kiss meeeeee.

(B forces themselves onto A. A makes out with them for a little bit. Then--)

A: Alright. Happy?

B: Let's just go back to the house. We have stuff there.

A: We only have Coca Cola and Saltine Crackers at the house. And…Baccardi. We need non-perishable items…water! (beat) Look at me. We have to go.

(A and B stare at each other. A silence. We hear thunder and lighting)

A: Do you hear that? Do you HEAR that?

B: What?

A: That! Just now! (at their wit's end) Come on! We HAVE TO GO!

(A pulls B along, finally, B lets go)

A: (flabbergasted) What are you doing!? Take my hand! 

(A tries to hold onto B again. B refuses to hold on. They are giggling)

B: What's gonna happen?

A: You know damn well what's gonna happen. Hold onto me, dammit! 

B: I'm a free (insert pronoun the actor identifies as), baby! 

A: No. No. No. Please. (pleading, near tears) Please I don't care how drunk you are hold my hand right now! 

(B runs around the stage)

B: You can't catch me You can't catch me!!!!!

A: You're gonna die! Please! This isn't funny!

(A keeps trying to catch B. This goes on for several moments. Then a sudden blackout. When the lights come up, B is gone)

A: (shocked) Oh my god. Oh my god. Come back.

(They begin to get hysterical)

A: (screaming) Come back! Come back!!!!!!!!!! 

(They begin to cry. They begin to get small)

A: No…no…no…no.

(They pound their palm into their head trying to think of a solution. Suddenly, they look at the pay phone. They run over to it, and jam a few quarters into it and furiously dial)

A: Shelly? Shelly. It's me. Please. I've been left. I've been left by. Yes, they just--ran off. Yes. Please. I'm alone. Get here. I'm at the pay phone on Maple Street. Please. Please. Hurry. Run. Ok. Hurry. Ok. Bye.

(They hang up and wait. They begin to get incredibly anxious and panic. They clutch onto the pay phone)

A: (to the heavens) I'm holding onto something! I'm holding onto something! Please…please…!

(Hysterical crying. After a few moments, C comes running on stage)

C: I'm here! I'm here! Now hold onto me! Before I!

(A lets go of the pay phone and runs towards C)

A: I'm safe! I'm safe! I'm--!

(Sudden blackout. When the lights come back, A is gone. C stands there, mouth agape)

C: Oh no…oh no…I…I gotta get out of here.


(C rushes out. Blackout. End of play)

Comments

Popular Posts