Shelly Sells Seashells Down By The Seashore, Scene Eight (8.27.14)


#27: SHELLY SELLS SEASHELLS DOWN BY THE SEASHORE 
(SCENE EIGHT)

(Lights up at Patty's house. Patty and Ginny are on the couch. Patty is drinking a beer, while Ginny has a Coke Zero. Ginny is visibly shaken. Eyeliner running down her face)

PATTY: Wow.
GINNY: Yeah.
PATTY: I um...can't believe that.
GINNY: I know. It's…it's really…hard. It's just.

(Ginny completely breaks down sobbing. Patty goes into the kitchen and gets some paper towels and helps her dry her tears)

GINNY: Thank you. (She wipes her face) How bad do I look?
PATTY: Ya look like Elizabeth Taylor.
GINNY: That's not funny, Patty.
PATTY: Sorry.
GINNY: Is Uncle Howie asleep?
PATTY: Yeah.
GINNY: I couldn't talk to him right now. I just couldn't. He just…he makes me feel like shit, which is just…not what I need right now.
PATTY: I know.
GINNY: It's just like…what am I gonna do?
PATTY: You'll be fine. You've got me.

(Ginny continues to cry)

PATTY: I mean, you can't have sex with me like you can with Tony, but--
GINNY: (laughing) Shut up.

(She lightly hits Patty)

GINNY: God, I wish I could DRIIIINK. I'd do anything to party like Kesha or something right now.

(A silence) 

PATTY: Gin, I can't believe you didn't mention the.
GINNY: I couldn't tell him, are you kidding? And I might never tell him. Give it up for adoption. Shit.

(A silence)

PATTY: You know…it is still very early on. You could always--
GINNY: (exploding) Patty don't you even right now!
PATTY: Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.
GINNY: I don't want to talk about that right now.

(She continues to cry)

GINNY: I know you don't understand this Patty. I know you're thinking that I should be happy. And the joke's on me. He's a piece of shit. But…but I love him. You know. And I know you've never loved someone like this, so you can't…(beat) It's just like…you're right though too, yknow? He's so bad. He's just…he's so bad for me right now.
PATTY: It'll be ok, Ginny.
GINNY: Oh god…now that I can't live with him. Oh god. The rent. How am I gonna. (beat)  Everything's so horrible. Everything's so horrible.

(A silence as Ginny continues to sob)

GINNY: Tell me something good. Can you just tell me something good right now.
PATTY: Well…I…I like someone.
GINNY: Really?
PATTY: Yeah.
GINNY: Did you meet her online too?
PATTY: No.
GINNY: Who is it?
PATTY: You know her.
GINNY: I don't wanna play a fucking guessing game of all the lesbos in Seaside--
PATTY: --It's Michelle.

(Ginny looks up)

GINNY: My replacement?
PATTY: She's not--
GINNY: The girl whose working there now.
PATTY: Yeah.
GINNY: She's bald.
PATTY: I know. I know she's bald.
GINNY: Alright. Just saying.

(A silence)

GINNY: She's really quiet.
PATTY: I know.
GINNY: She said she was Mormon or something.
PATTY: Yeah.
GINNY: You like her though?
PATTY: I think she's cute, yeah.
GINNY: Do you think she's a…?
PATTY: I--
GINNY: Cuz I didn't really get that vibe.
PATTY: Well--
GINNY: I mean, she's got short hair, but…
PATTY: I just said I liked her. Not that we were gonna walk down the isle or something.
GINNY: Ok.
PATTY: The important part is that…that I'm allowing myself to open up my heart again.
GINNY: Yeah, well it's not worth it. Love is dead.

(She takes a swig of her Coke Zero)

GINNY: Just kidding. Go for it. At least one of us won't be a total fuck up. 
PATTY: You're not a fuck up, Gin.
GINNY: I love you.

(She hugs Patty. Patty hugs her back)

GINNY: You deserve someone. You know that?
PATTY: Gin.
GINNY: I mean it, you're a real catch.
PATTY: Yeah, yeah.

(A silence)

GINNY: Good thing you're not into dating men. Men suck.

(Blackout)


Comments

Popular Posts