The Love Munchkin Suicide (8.19.14)

Inspired by this article about "The Wizard Of Oz"



#19: THE LOVE MUNCHKIN SUICIDE

(Lights up on BILL, a munchkin on the brink of death. He is standing on a chair with a noose around his neck, and is standing on a chair. He is writing a note)

BILL: My dearest Melissa. I remember the first time I saw you. You were on set with your honey blonde bob, puffy blue dress with the pearl cufflinks. You were eating a strawberry donut with Sarah, and too much jelly came out and it got smeared on your upper lip. I watched you discover it after Sarah pointed it out, lick it and giggle. It was then I knew I was absolutely smitten. I remember overhearing your conversation where you said you always wanted to be a ballerina, but you never could because you were too short. But sweetheart, if I ran the world--you'd be dancing in every single show every single night on every single stage all over the world. You may be small like me, but your heart is big. I still believe that, even if you say you don't love me. (beat) I understand why you don't. I'm not exactly the most handsome guy, or the smartest, or the most talented guy here (like all those guys in the Lollipop guild, and I'm certainly far from the richest--but if you'd have let me have you, I really think we could've had it all. Unfortunately, the world wasn't meant for people like you and me. (he sighs) I know you and Sarah and all the other girls in the chorus are always laughing at me, and I'm kinda used to it because I've been laughed at my whole life but it still hurts, and I wish you would have seen me for who I really was. (beat) Anyway, I hope you see this act as an act of love and not a sign of weakness. I love you to the end of Oz and back Sarah and I hope that finally this act will make you notice how serious I really was about you. (beat) Goodbye. I hope you have a nice life.

(He kicks the chair as he strangles to death. We hear the cast recording of "The Wizard Of Oz" play "We're Off To See The Wizard" offstage. It starts out fast, but then begins to sound strange and warbled. As the lights go out, we see Bill lose color in his face. Blackout)

Comments

Popular Posts