The Ball (8.23.14)


#23: THE BALL

(Lights rise on five people. They are all bored)

P1: I wanna do something.
P2: I know.
P3: Yeah.
P4: We should definitely do something.
P5: What's the point of doing something?
P1: What's the point of not doing anything?
P2: What's the point of existing?
P3: Do you guys know what the point of a windmill is?
P4: I don't, actually.
P5: Beats me.
P1: Wanna play ball?
P2: Like baseball?
P3: Basketball?
P4: Soccer…ball?
P5: Racquetball?
P2: Mum-ball?
P3: Volleyball?
P4: Softball?
P1: No, no. Just like. Keep the ball up in the air. C'mon. We can all do it.
P2: Yeah?
P1: Yeah.
P3: Hmmm.
P1: Come on. We're not doing anything anyway. We have the rest of our lives to keep the ball in the air.
P2: I don't know.
P4: I like it.
P5: Yeah let's do it.
P1: Ok.


(Person #1 brings a ball on stage from either off-stage or from underneath a chair in the audience. They try to keep a ball in the air for as long as possible until it falls. Then they keep doing this, forever and ever, until enough is enough. Lights out)

Comments

Popular Posts